Monday, August 17, 2009

"I'm inclined to ride"... famous last words.

What's 80 cents between iPhone apps anyway?

Nigel: "Hey Matt, I'm interrogating BOM* as we speak - I'm inclined to ride unless utterly shite. Are we not men?"
Matt: "Yeah, I'm inclined to ride come what may. I'm Welsh ..."
Nigel: "...and I grew up in NZ mate. Rain and wind - meh."
*BOM = Bureau of Meterology website

Cut to following scene:

Pensive, bovine expression from Nigel - pics by Matt Cashmore


View Larger Map

The weather forecast had been optimistically interpreted as windy but not that wet for the day's planned motorcycle outing to Yea and back through Kinglake. Slight hiccup at the start of the day when I mistook the Hume Freeway for the Hume Highway, so our meeting with Jamie was fortuitously delayed while we leap-frogged to a Shell station in Craigieburn, about 35km North of Melbourne.

On the horizon was a purple-black cloud bank, traveling at 60km/h and preceded by some vigorous gusts of wind, so we gassed up and retreated to the servo to wait for it to blow over as the trusty iPhone BOMradar application said it would. We knew the front was due, but winds behind it were showing as mild, and the rain front was in theory, a one-off. Clear skies behind! Not ...


Back inside and another half hour later one of the 3 IT amigos decides to check another source of data for some insight on the seemingly non-stop rain and wind... whaddya reckon, can you spot the difference - my $1.19 BOMradar iPhone app on left; Matt's $1.99 Oz Weather on the right.

Home James, and don't spare the Suzuki. I'm pretty sure there's 80c rattling around the pockets of my wet weather gear somewhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for stopping by.